4 to 5 main course servings
- 2 pounds turkey meat cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 red peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons Ancho chili powder
- 2 tablespoons peeled, chopped garlic
- 1 15 ounce can chopped green chilies
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 28 ounce can golden or white hominy
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- Sour cream
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Pour the oil into a large, heavy-bottomed pot and heat over medium heat.
Season the turkey with salt and pepper. Add to the pot and sauté in until well-browned. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the turkey to a bowl and set aside.
Add the onions, red pepper and jalapeño to the pot and brown until golden, which takes approximately seven minutes.
When the onion begins to caramelize, return the turkey to the pot, sprinkle with the cumin and Ancho chili powder, stir in the garlic, green chilies and tomatoes.
Add the chicken broth plus 2 cups of water, stir and bring it to a boil over high heat. Lower then heat and let the chili simmer, partially covered, for one hour.
Add the hominy. Continue to cook until the turkey is tender, which takes approximately 15 minutes.
Taste and adjust the seasoning and serve with cilantro, scallions and sour cream as a topping.